Friday 12 December 2014

The Imitation Game: My Hits and Fangirl Misses

I was one of the lucky few to be able to see "The Imitation Game" last night in a local theater. While it was thrilling to be able to see Benedict's latest film with a mere select few, fangirls soon rained on my parade.

As I was sitting in my seat, patiently awaiting for the start of the film, all I could hear was fangirl chatter about how sexy Benedict was and how upset they were that he was off the market and about to be a father.

Seriously? This film is a major contender for many Oscar categories, and told a bittersweet story about the 'Father of Modern Computers', yet they disrespected both with their tedious and hormone fueled commentary of Benedict's sex appeal.

There were local movie critics in the audience, as well as serious theater and film enthusiasts like myself. Do fangirls ever stop to think about how ridiculous they sound in a room full of intellectuals?

The only saving grace was the start of the film, because Benedict's performance hooked and reeled me in like an elusive fish. In fact, his portrayal of Alan Turing was so impeccable that it overwhelmed me to the point where I was in tears...and I NEVER cry at movies.

Fangirling/Fanboying has become an epidemic and it's only going to worsen until it is too late and all actors, singers, athletes and artists will shy away from the public for good.

Granted, sexual attraction has a time and place and, in this case, a huge line was crossed. Talking about the sex appeal of a celebrity belongs in the confines of a fan's own home...not in public. There are serious individuals out there who are at theaters and other performances to enjoy what they are seeing...they don't need some childish commentary about pedestrian topics.

This eventually led to a discussion about proper theater etiquette with my friend, who is also accompanying me to see Hamlet in London. The both of us aren't there just to see Benedict's performance...we are there to pay homage to William Shakespeare and his works. The both of us grew up with the enjoyment of his plays and bonded over our favourite plays and characters and we will be extremely upset if our experience is ruined.

There will undoubtedly be a number of screaming, disrespectful fangirls and fanboys...and just like with Coriolanus, they will be disrupting the performance with their ogling and their crowing over Benedict's good looks and sex appeal.

Sadly, there will be two victims...Benedict Cumberbatch and William Shakespeare. I do not need to explain the reasons for either one because fangirl behaviour and disrespect speaks for itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment