Monday 8 December 2014

Awards and Disrespectful Reactions: Cue the facepalm!

A lot of actors the fangirls and fanboys worship are very accomplished. They are classically trained, and have received several awards for their accomplishments.

First of all, I’d like to take the time to recognize the two I have been a huge fan of for a long time…as they probably won’t hear it from anyone else in the fandoms… Benedict and Tom… (And quit rolling your eyes and griping…it’s all about respect.)

Benedict, I was extremely proud of you when I found out you received the Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries. When I wrote to you in May, I meant everything I said about you being a treasure. I am glad that the award committees are finally taking notice of you because it’s been a long time coming. You deserve every accolade you’ve received throughout your career.

Tom, I would like to congratulate you on your most recent award win…the Best Actor Evening Standard award for your performance in Coriolanus. When I saw the National Theatre Live performance at my local movie theatre, I literally got goosebumps from your talent and sheer artistic perfection. I hope there are more awards to come for you because you deserve it!

That being said, I noticed something interesting on my Team Hiddleston page (Not to be confused with the Team Hiddleston group…that belongs to someone else!). My co-admin Lady Loki posted a call to arms in voting for Tom in his nomination for the Whatsonstage Awards…in fact she was creative enough to use one of Caius Martius’ lines and spin it around to gain awareness. When I went to look at the comments the post had received, I had to refrain from banging my head against the edge of my desk.

Instead of comments like “Yes, we must vote for Tom…his performance was simply amazing!”, I was treated to comments like “Good lord, look at that bootie!!” and “Daaaaamn that ass!” and “Oh man, dat ass…Mmmmmm!”

Seriously? He’s up for an award for his acting and that’s all a fangirl can say?

What is the point of being a fan if all you do is look at their physical assets? No actor is an object. Tom and his colleagues are human beings.

At the end of a long, hard shoot or after a brilliant performance, the last thing a gentleman like Tom wants to hear is how hot he is. He works his hardest in portraying his characters and tries ever-so-hard to perfect every line and movement…and all he gets in return are a bunch of hormone fueled fangirls (and fanboys) crowing about how sexy he looks. What’s the point in him acting if that’s all the praise he gets?

TOM DESERVES BETTER!!! Hell, ALL THE ACTORS DESERVE BETTER!!!!

If you’re going to claim to be a fan, at least watch a few of their performances and study their craft. A true fan has seen almost everything their favourite actor or actress has been in. I can honestly claim that I have seen 90% of Tom’s work and 95% of Benedict’s work, and can hold a long, intelligent conversation on both of their acting methods.

Can you do that? No? Then stop your childish drooling and educate yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment