Sunday 11 January 2015

*Insert name here*, You Saved My Life!

We've seen it on Facebook...we've seen it on Tumblr...we've seen it on YouTube.

There are actually people out there who credit actors, actresses and athletes for "saving" their lives. My response to that is...ummmmm how?

One fangirl, aptly named Bennysgirl (cue eye roll) said once "I am having a really tough year with family and everything...but Benedict has saved my life."

How can a single individual, famous or not, save the life of someone they've never laid eyes upon or even met?

A borderline creepy declaration, is it not? How would Benedict Cumberbatch react to that? He would more than likely be more than just a little confused and scared.

Numerous fangirls have declared to Tom Hiddleston that he has saved their lives. After saying thank you, he has modestly told them "I haven't done anything".

And, that's true...what have Tom and Benedict done besides provide entertainment to us?

I'm certain that Tom and Ben haven't gone to each and every fangirl and helped them out with anxiety or family issues. They have brightened our lives with their smiles and talent, that's for sure...but they haven't solved any of our life's problems...they have problems of their own. They can't play superhero to us.

I will admit that Benedict's kindness has touched my life recently in the form of an autograph during a dark time in my life, but I will never say that he saved my life. In gratitude of his kindness, I wrote a thank you letter to him and donated to three charities in his honour, including the ALS association.

What possesses these fangirls to say such things? Don't they live in the real world and realize that they can only change their lives themselves?

To say that a stranger who films movies has saved their lives is extremely delusional and childlike. Nothing against fantasy, but there are times when reality needs to sink in. We don't live in a world full of rainbows and unicorns. We live in a world full of pain, corruption and peril.

The only way we can end any of the negative things is to live in the now and use our brains to come up with solutions...not live in a permanent fantasy world.

So, fangirls....the next time you have a problem, how about you look into yourself and see what you can change instead of turning to your heartthrob for help and guidance?

No comments:

Post a Comment